ARGO Collection (Argentium Silver)
What is Argentium Silver?
Argentium Silver is a modern sterling silver alloy which modifies the traditional alloy (92.5% silver + 7.5% copper) by replacing some of the copper with the metalloid germanium. Germanium was discovered to impart the following properties to sterling silver: firescale elimination, high tarnish resistance, precipitation hardening and simple heat-hardening properties, increased ductility, Environmental advantages (associated with not having to remove or plate over fire scale)
How is Argentium silver different than traditional sterling silver?
- Plating is prone to wear and tear and is commonly used on silver items to give the temporary illusion of purity. Argentium is the natural color of pure silver through and through.
- Argentium silver is brighter than traditional sterling. It is the whitest of them all.
- Argentium silver is lower maintenance, easy to care for and simple to clean.
- Argentium silver is a purer material than traditional Sterling Silver.
How does Argentium Silver Wear?
- Argentium has excellent formability in its softened state and yet the silver will work harden to achieve superior hardness and durability.
- Finished jewelry and silverware made in Argentium are harder, stronger and more durable than traditional sterling silver.
This means that Argentium silver articles are more resistant to damage from scratches, denting and deformation - this is particularly beneficial for jewelry items that are regularly worn.